[c-nsp] 6500 Defects Anyone?

Greg Schwimer gschwim at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 19:05:41 EST 2006

I have to wonder if anyone else is having problems with the 6500 platform
like I am.  Speak up if you are!

This last week will provide a good summary into the problems I've been
having:

   - Fan tray failure, replaced the fan tray to find a 6724 module went
   bad too.  This is the second fan tray to fail in this one chassis in 9
   months.
   - Supervisor720-3bxl started spitting out thousands of memory
   correction log events.  Replaced this supervisor to find the replacement was
   bad.
   - Initiated an SSO failover (3bxl) to find the newly active sup
   reconfigured the queueing on a 6724 in slot 1 back to what was configured on
   a blade that had previously in the same slot 6 months prior.  Needed to hard
   reboot to get it to take what the startup config indicated.
   - Replaced two bad 6748 modules.
   - CSM crashed 3x in 15 minutes for no apparent reason.  Has run
   cleanly since with no action taken.
   - HSRP in standby on spanning-tree root, but the mac forwarding table
   still forwards packets destined to the HSRP address (active on the other
   router) to the RP on the standby, causing lots of packet loss.

...and that was just *this* week.  All of this took place in about 16 6500s,
all Sup720-3b or better, running 12.2(18)SXE4 in two different facilities.
CSM code is 4.2(3), which was recommended to us by Cisco DEs after a
comprehensive review of other CSM problems we'd been having.

Am I just having really bad luck?

-gs