[c-nsp] Extreme vs. Cisco

Fetzer, Bryan BFetzer at bresnan.com
Thu Mar 30 21:52:58 EST 2006

I think the previous point was a great one. There have been numerous
comparisons done on this list of old Extreme technology vs updated/newer
Cisco technology. I showed your comment to some of the crew here and it
gave them a good chuckle. (comment stating that Cisco gear just does
what Cisco says it will do) Our Cisco account team came in here at one
point during one of the major virus outbreaks, defending their gear
because rather than continuously pass all the virus traffic it locked up
, meanwhile the Juniper equivalents just kept right on passing the
"overbearing" amounts of traffic.

There is plenty of data out there, on just how well the new breed
Extreme network devices perform.

Look specifically here as another person has pointed out, passing
traffic at true line rate.

http://www.tolly.com/DocDetail.aspx?DocNumber=205121

http://www.tolly.com/ts/2005/Avaya/Convergence/TollyTS205121AvayaIncTrip
le-PlayConvergedNtwkBenchmarkAugust2005.pdf

http://www.networkcomputing.com/1401/1401f3.html

http://img.cmpnet.com/nc/1401/graphics/1401f3_file.pdf

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=68272

Again, to each his/her own. I have grown to really enjoy
configuring/managing/deploying Extreme's switches.

Thanks for the great open discussion here Cisco-NSP crew.