[c-nsp] Sup32 Memory upgrade

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue May 2 04:11:54 EDT 2006

Right, NAT is a so-called "Netflow feature", it does not use the
FIB/ADJ model for forwarding but rather a NF/ADJ model (it also
leverages the ACL TCAM for the initial session redirection to the CPU).

In general packets are fwded by a FIB lookup pointing to a h/w
adjacency, but that's not the only way - we can also point to an adj
via the NF table or via an ACL lookup (eg, for PBR). All three
lookups (FIB, NF, ACL) occur in parallel and the appropriate one
overrides based on your configuration/features applied.

For example, for NAT, NF overrides ACL overrides FIB. If there is no
existing NF entry for a session, the ACL lookup overrides the FIB &
the packet is punted to the RP to set up the xlation and/or session.
The s/w installs a NF entry in the h/w - the next packet in the flow
matches the NF entry & that overrides the ACL & FIB results.

Tim

At 03:33 AM 5/2/2006, Yuri Selivanov quipped:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759