[c-nsp] Seeking opinions about SMARTNET options (anybody using IBM's MMS?!?)

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:56:57 EDT 2006

Ever since we started using Cisco gear, we have been purchasing SMARTNET
straight from the distributor of the hardware. The process is simple, and -
as all such are equal - it did not really matter whom I bought this from, as
the support was provided the same way: interfacing with the Cisco staff (of
course, depending on the type of SMARTNET, e.g. 24x7x4 vs 8x5xNBD, etc - but
this is not the point). This way we alway got the best deal of the day...

A few years ago I found a company who - once used - would offer not direct
add-on value to the support of Cisco gear, itself, but a much appreciated
add-on value to the processing of such accounts, with an easy to use
interface for management, and features allowing us to keep a better tab on
accounts, make changes, add/remove gear, re-use funds, etc. (just for the
record - I found Prism Innovations pretty good for such).

Now - just recently - we have been presented with yet another option called
IBM-MMS (which stands for IBM Managed Maintenance Services), which is being
advertised as a better SMARTNET (?!? - better than Cisco's support
people?!?), as well as better management of accounts (?!? - better
Prism... ?!?) - but, of course, which comes at a price higher than either of
the two options above.

So here comes my request: would anybody care to comment on any of the subjects
above, and - possibly - share some personal experience with IBM's MMS?!?

TIA,
Stefan