[c-nsp] 1720 and WIC-1ENET

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Fri May 5 20:29:18 EDT 2006

Argh.  I've got a customer with a 1720 with a T1 WIC in slot 0.
He tried to put a WIC-1ENET into slot 1, and it isn't recognized.
Surfing Cisco's web site, I found something that describes when
a WIC-1ENET will work in a 1720.  The router is from 2001, so
it's got the right hardware to support it, but:

Software Requirements

  The Cisco WIC-1ENET card requires Cisco IOS Release 12.2(2)XJ or
  later if the card is installed in any WIC slot other than slot 0
  or if more than one card is installed.

By "more than one card installed" do they mean I can't have anything
in slot 1 if I've got a WIC-1ENET in slot0?  Or do they mean trying
to use two WIC-1ENET cards?

The customer currently has 12.1(19).  I don't see 12.2(2)XJ on CCO -
do I need to go to 12.2T or 12.3?  If so, I think that means a RAM
upgrade since the poor little 1720 only has 24 MB of RAM...