[c-nsp] dsl wic back to back?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu May 11 16:49:31 EDT 2006

> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 04:04:50PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>
>> 	So, I want to run dsl over a semi-extended distance
>> (I could attempt to do T1 too i guess, but figure the
>> distance may cause trouble, around 800 feet), was wondering
>> if anyone knows if you can use two dsl wics back to back, or
>> if someone has tried it.

SDSL usually can do this, but you normally have to configure it that way
(it won't usually work by default). ADSL will never work this way, since
the transmit and receive data streams it uses are very different between
the DSLAM and CPE gear.

I've run T1 lots further than 800' before in buildings where the smartjack
at the demarc is a loooong way away from my customer's CPE by way of
building locals. If you have to go a long way on T1 you should run the
transmit and receive pairs in seperate binder groups within the cable you
use (if you have a 50 pair or larger cable). That gains you a little more
isolation and can help a lot on long runs. T1 will work fine between two
CSUs or two T1 WIC cards, just make up a crossover cable on one end.

     -Bill