[c-nsp] Compression on PE router

Vikas Sharma vikassharmas at gmail.com
Thu May 18 00:56:37 EDT 2006

 Hi,

 Currently we have ppp multilink bundle in the backbone. If we implement ppp
stac compression we may get 20-25% of bandwidth saving. In future we are
also planning for MPLS based network. Can we implement stac compression
(hardware compression based on 7609 router) with MPLS? I understand due to
compression every packet has to be process switched. But by using a separate
hardware (VIP2 card) is it possible to take the benefit of both world
i.e.MPLS and compression?
In essence, *can I compress packet at PE router and than forward packets
to P router (MPLS backbone)?*

Regards
Vikas Sharma