[c-nsp] Low-end 3-ethernet bgp-capable router

Paul Cairney lists at cairney.me.uk
Fri May 19 12:55:50 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 12:21:36PM -0400, Bob Tinkelman wrote:
> I'm curious as to what people generally use in
> situations where you have 2 Ethernet upstream links
> and the need to do bgp with small subset tables.
>
> When I last looked at this some years ago, I didn't
> find a low-cost 3-Ethernet router and ended up using
> a router with a single FastEthernet port and an
> 802.1q capable switch, but I assume the world has
> changed since then.

I would be inclined to use something like a 2811 (two FE) along with a 4 port HWIC module since this operates as a .1q switch anyway.

Using the onboard FE's give you the added benifit of being able to use bgp fast-external-failover to drop your bgp session if the interface goes down, which is something you loose if you bring your uplinks in through a switch.

Hope this helps,

Paul