[c-nsp] 6500s/XFPs (Was XENPAK 10GB-LW (WAN PHY))

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed May 31 17:50:02 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 11:01:52PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 09:29:37AM +0200, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> > I believe it's just about the only way you can put eight ports
> > on a C6K blade and still support LX4. Since they have customers
> > who insist on multimode, the choice must have been pretty easy.
>
> Naive question from someone who has not looked into 10GE *that* much
> yet - "what is LX4, and why can it not be done with XFPs"?

XENPAKs connects to the host device via a standard called XAUI, which has
4x serial data links running at 3.125Gbps each. The PHY itself is located
on the pluggable (which is why you need seperate XENPAKs for LAN and WAN
PHY, and they don't do OC192 FC etc). XFP connects via a single
native 10G serial data (between 9.95G-10.7G iirc), moves the PHY onto the
host board, and eliminates the need for seperate mux/demux of 10G to
4x3.125G signals. This cuts the power consumed by the XFP in 1/5th, cuts
the pluggable size in 1/10th, and results in a significant cost reduction
for manufacturing and integration. It also makes the XFP completely
protocol agnostic, so you can use the same optics in 10GE, OC192, FC, etc.

Unfortunately there is a lot of low grade multimode plant out there, with
low modal bandwidths, and a lot of enterprises/campuses want to run 10GE
over it. A native 10G signal like 10GBASE-SR doesn't get very far on this
type of fiber (26 meters on the low end), but LX4 on the other hand runs 4
parallel optical signals at 3.125G/ea (in 8b/10b encoding instead of
64b/66b), roughly in the 1310nm range (I think its 4 channels between
1270nm and 1355nm). This lets you get much longer distances over the
existing low-grade MMF plant, up to 300 meters.

Of course LX4 lends itself naturally to XAUI because there are already 4
native lower speed signals (plus XENPAK is big enough to easily stuff a 4
channel WDM mux and all the other required components into it). XFP being
a much smaller module, there just isn't room for all the LX4 components
and an XAUI to XFI transceiver today. Thus XFP is the clear technology
winner and is better for everyone in the long term, but XENPAK and its
smaller (but interface-wise exactly the same) cousin X2 hang around to
support the interfaces which use 4 channels to transport 10G over legacy
connections (LX4, CX4 which is the same gist but over copper, etc). Being
bigger, it also gives you first crack at new technologies like 80km reach
optics, DWDM tuned optics, etc. That will probably change over time too.