[c-nsp] 2800 unable to save config

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Nov 5 05:26:14 EST 2006

Will,

> I have a 2800 running "2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M),
> Version 12.4(10)"
>
> At the moment I can't save the configuration, when I execute a 'wr
> mem' I get the following:
>
> Router#wr mem
> startup-config file open failed (Not enough space)

[...]
> Also getting the following entry in my system messages when I execute
> the wr mem command:
>
>  NV: Invalid Pointer value(43246C74) in private configuration
> structure
>
> Can someone give me an idea on how to get round this?

You seem to be hitting effects of CSCin98933. This bug is fixed in
12.4(10), but you might have run into it using an earlier release and
caused the nvram corruption. The bug's release note says:

---snip--
[...]
When you have upgraded the Cisco IOS software image to one that
integrates
the fix for caveat CSCin98933, take the following steps:

1) Create a backup copy of all the required files in NVRAM.

2) Erase the entire NVRAM by entering the "erase /all
nvram:" command, thereby ensuring that there are no stale pointers
in NVRAM and that the NVRAM device is filled with 0x0 or 0xFF patterns.

Note: The erase nvram: or write erase command erases only the partial
contents of NVRAM.

3) Next, restore the files that were previously in NVRAM back to NVRAM
via
the copy and write memory commands.
---snip--

can you please try this?