[c-nsp] VRF-LITE

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Wed Nov 8 01:15:04 EST 2006

On (2006-11-07 21:45 -0800), Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> > I recently moved from a Juniper network to a Cisco MPLS-MBGP-OSPF
> > shop. I don't think there is anything like vrf-lite in the Juniper
> > world. I tried reading the Cisco documentation on this but I am having
> > a hard time grasping an M-BGP set up without any MPLS configuration.
> > Is the traffic tagged? If so, how are the labels exchanged? If I am
> > missing something obvious I apologize in advance.
> >

> Hmm....I'm not sure of your question.  VRF Lite is simply separate routing
> table instances on the same router without any association to VRFs on
> another router.

Naturally VRF-Lite can be associated to other routers if far-end
interface also belongs to it's 'own' vrf-lite. But of course typically,
you'd need some way to multiplex it, so that multiple VRF-lite's could
be used in single box, it could be VLAN, PVC, DLCI, GRE-tunnel, VRF-select
or pretty much anything you can have (sub)interface for.

There is also passing chance that original poster is mixing VRF-Lite
for what cisco confusingly calls MPLS VPNs over IP tunnels, which in
real life is just exchanging L3 MPLS VPN's MPLS transport to L2TPv3
transport, so better name would be L3 L2TPv3 VPN.
Which I believe would have killed MPLS had it been implemented few
years before, as I think MPLS lookup to be more expensive resource
than MTU.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti