[c-nsp] Provider border box

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Sat Nov 25 08:17:38 EST 2006

On (2006-11-25 14:52 +0200), Konstantin Barinov wrote:

> I'm seeking an advise from community - what to choose as a ISP border?
> Now we have 7600/SUP2/MSFC2 as primary, and are generally happy with it.

> I'm thinking about something with SUP720-3B(XL) as a new router.
> Maybe community has other ideas? And of course price is important -
> will be good to fit into $40-50K.

I'd say that operationally SUP720-3BXL makes most sense to you, as
you obviously already have experience with issues the platform it might
bring, usually value of that experience exceeds the value of the
platform itself.
If you're not satisfied with the whole platform today, options
worth looking might be M7i/M10i or M120 if 10GE is needed or small CRS
or GSR. I personally would not buy 'niche' unless you have people
who can work full-time with the vendor, while at any given time
there are bound to be unpolished gems out there.

--
  ++ytti