[c-nsp] Choosing iBGP over eBGP

Joe Provo jzp-cnsp at rsuc.gweep.net
Sun Oct 8 06:56:52 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 03:17:04PM +0800, Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have a problem where an eBGP path is being selected over an
> iBGP path, although the latter is better option (shorter AS hop
> and better latency). From my understanding the iBGP vs eBGP selection
> criteria is way below the higher priority of shorter AS path hop
> selection criteria. Am i right?

You are conflating two steps of the decision process. External vs
internal as a selction criteria is relevant for origin codes only,
when taking a walk through the BGP tabel to decide what gets put
into the routing table.

> I've even tried to lower the local preference for the eBGP path
> without much success.
> Any tips out there that I can use to make this work? Thanks.

What you're describing sounds like you are running with default
administrative distance.  Refer to to:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094195.shtml#topic2

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE