[c-nsp] debug fastethernet

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Tue Oct 17 17:33:55 EDT 2006

Hi ...

We're seeing some OSPF dead timers between a 3750 and a 2621XM on two sides
of a wireless link. The setup is as follows:

3750 -- radio -- (wireless link) -- radio -- 2950 -- 2621XM.

The wireless device manufacturer suggested setting the radios and switches
to autonegotiate so we could see whether some environmental issues are
causing the radio and the 2950 to negotiate down to 10/half during high
traffic periods (which is when the dead timers occur).

These dead timers are happening at 4:00am, so I'm not around to see what's
going on during the episodes. If the radio decided to renegotiate the speed
/ duplex for some reason, I should see messages like

Mar  1 00:27:31: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
FastEthernet0/24, changed state to down
*Mar  1 00:27:32: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed state
to down
*Mar  1 00:27:37: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/24, changed state
to up
*Mar  1 00:27:39: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
FastEthernet0/24, changed state to up

in the logs, shouldn't I? The trouble is, I don't, and the interface
counters on the 2950 are all clean.

I'm suspecting an RF interference issue and will do some testing shortly. In
the meantime, is anyone aware of any debug command that might enable me to
see any relevant fastethernet events (autonegotiation or anything else) that
might not show up in the counters and in the logs by default?

Thanks,
Adam