[c-nsp] GLBP vs. HSRP

Chris Hale chris-lists at pipelinewireless.us
Tue Oct 31 13:51:33 EST 2006

I like the idea of GLBP over HSRP, but wanted everyone's opinion on any
drawbacks.  Is anyone using this in a datacenter or ISP environment with
customer VLANs (i.e. one VLAN terminating on two 6509's via GLBP for
failover and load-balancing)?

We will be implementing this on a 6509 that will terminate all customer
VLANs for ISP traffic.  Is there any easy way to manage the multiple IPs on
all the VLANs?  We are talking 200-300 VLANs that will be duplicated across
two 6509's (hopefully this will work):

           /---------6509-1/VID1

   CPE            GLBP between these two SVI's

           \---------6509-2/VID2

If I'm way off, let me know how and where.

Thanks,

Chris