[c-nsp] DSL network with Ethernet DSLAMS

Robert H. Sass robhass at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 10:13:44 EDT 2006

Hi
We're thinking about deploying DSL access network. Currently we have
metro network based on Catalyst switches (mostly 3560, 3750 and 6500).
BRAS will be ESR10000 and few 7206VXR/NPE-G1.

I and few questions:

1) Is any justify to create separate VLAN per each DSLAM ? (for DSL subscribers)

2) If I have two DSLAMs connected in one switch should I create
two separate VLANs, one for each DSLAM ?

3) What technology should be used at DSL modems ? PPPoE or
bridged-ppp ?

4) Are any other recommendations regarding designing DSL network based
on Catalyst L2 switches and Ethernet DSLAMS ?

Thanks,
Robert