[c-nsp] Small PE L3 Switches ?

Mike Butash der.mikus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 03:19:09 EDT 2006

Heh, sorry if i offended the engineers saying the 7301 is akin to a
2600, but that's about how we had used them effectively as a
software-only platform, at least as far as network placement.  They make
an ok pe if you only need less than a single gige handoff to a ce
(without l2 switch distribution and dot1q).  This was the small office
p/pe model for us on a metro dwdm/ethernet ring too, but not of much use
elsewise.

7304's are ok for pe duty too, but their value comes in being able to
use multiple legacy pa interfaces via carrier-card->pa adapter use (when
you don't run into aforementioned dysfunctional behavior), and using the
cc bus for high-bandwidth 10g/oc192 interfaces.  There is also the fact
interfaces are expensive for what you get, unless you are dealing with
telco-style carrier networks with a lot of non-ethernet peering.  The
NSE PXE acceleration is the key with them, but I see their interface
cost as a significant price-point problem if all you need is ethernet,
and find little value in that market.  When they're having you pay for
the sip and spa's in quantity, it's more than a 6500 line-card that can
most or more of that functionality and scale to a whole lot more for
long-term cost effectiveness.

Small pe generally means to me lack of capacity if you're planning on
using it for selling access, unless you're talking about smaller
capacities such as a branch office with static connections.  I think
ultimately the 3750ME is destined for vpls-style u-pe for l2 metro
services if that is your market.  I don't believe they are much for l3
PE/routing termination such as for vrf handoff's to a ce.  If you are
heading CE->PE's doing l3 with routing protocols, and any amount of
them, I think the 73xx or 65xx will about have to be your choice for
versatility in the Cisco world.  From there you need to determine your
overall capacity.

The ME6500 seems to hold promise for this, but I've not had much
necessity to look at them lately.  The DC issue is a bit disconcerting,
as I can see these easily being used on AC too if you're already in a
datacenter with uber-redundant power.  That sounds like the cisco "left
hand not talking to the right" kind of thing.  It might be worth a
rectifier and some DC cabling...

It all comes down to capacity.  I'm curious what is your price-point,
what functionality specifically are you looking for, and how many/what
kind of ports are you terminating?  This is a hard niche to find a
price-point on for hardware, and I agree that a normal 3750 would be
nice for this.  I was disappointed it wouldn't do tag switching when
their docs have always indicated a certain level of mpls functionality,
it was one of the first things I looked at when I first got my hands on
one.  This really only meant vrf-lite, but they're still only a good l2
switch and suit some basic l3 roles very effectively.

-mb