[c-nsp] Interface not reporting accurate bandwidth statistics via SNMP + FIBerrors in log

cisco-nsp at mikewesson.com cisco-nsp at mikewesson.com
Sat Sep 23 21:54:00 EDT 2006

Hi there, been lurking for a while and have been presented with a problem I
am unable to figure out and I was hoping some of you here may have some
ideas.

We had an OC48 card fail in our Catalyst a couple days ago and since
replacing it the statistics do not appear to be updating correctly on it
(via SNMP with mrtg).  The traffic is definitely going through it, it's just
not being reported accurately. Right now it's showing <1mbit of traffic on
our MRTG graphs when it should be near capacity.  All other interfaces on
the router are reporting accurate statistics.

In addition, since plugging the new card in this is appearing in the logs:

Sep 23 00:31:29: %MLSCEF-SP-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception, Some
entries will be software switched Sep 23 00:31:37:
%MLSCEF-SP-STDBY-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception, Some entries will be
software switched Sep 23 00:34:42: %FIB-3-FIBDISABLE: Fatal error, slot/cpu
7/0: No window message, LC to RP IPC is non-operational

The first two log entries I believe I understand (show tcam count shows we
are well under the limit), but the third one is beyond me.

So I guess I have two questions. The first being why is the interface not
reporting the correct ammount of traffic, and the second being why is this
new card giving these errors, and are the two issues related?  The only
physical difference between this card and the one that's failed  appears to
be different part numbers for the memory.  We're not doing anything
intensive on the router, cpu usage appears to be sitting around 5%.  The
card information is below should it be of any use.

 1-port POS-OC48-SM-SR+ controller
        Board is analyzed ipc ready
        HW rev 1.0, board revision A0
        Serial Number: JAB080307L8 Part number: 73-8239-01

        Slot database information:
        Flags: 0x2004   Insertion time: 0x1C950 (1d00h ago)

        Controller Memory Size:
                56 MBytes CPU Memory
                8 MBytes Packet Memory
                64 MBytes Total on Board SDRAM

Thanks for reading, any insight is very much appreciated on or off list.

Mike