[c-nsp] Zero MAC affecting comms through aironets

Graham Hausler ghausler at erggroup.com
Mon Sep 25 00:25:47 EDT 2006

I hope this is an appropriate posting here.

I am having difficulty understanding behaviour I am currently seeing
between Cisco 1310 aironets (configured as workgroup bridges) and Cisco
1240 access points.
Every time a bridge associates/re-associates, a client, having that bridge
as its parent, is shown in the access point associations status. This
client has a zero MAC address (0000.0000.0000).  When another bridge
associates, this zero MAC client's parent moves to newly associated
bridge. What is this behaviour about?

I believe as a consequence I am seeing funny comms behaviour, whereby the
TCP/IP/ping communications through the bridge to the access point LAN is
only successful if the bridge has this "0000.0000.0000" client as one of
its children. Essentially pings through the first associated brdige stop
once a second bridge associates. If a re-authentication is set up for the
first brdige, then the ping starts to succeed again once the
re-authentication occurs (and this zero MAC client is back with the first
bridge). If I disassociate the second bridge, including the zero MAC
client, before the first bridge reassociates, then I never see the pings
restart!

The relevent configurations are
Cisco 1310, IOS 12.3(7)JA2, configured as workgroup bridge using
"CKIP+CMIC" encryption and LEAP authenitication.
Cisco 1242, IOS 12.3(7)JA2, configured as access point using "CKIP+CMIC"
encryption and LEAP authenitication (have tried with both local and Funk
Radius servers).

Any insight into the above behaviour would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Graham

ERG Transit Systems
247 Balcatta Road Balcatta WA 6021 Australia
Tel: +61 8 9273 1253 Fax: +61 8 9273 1535
Email: ghausler at erggroup.com Website: www.erggroup.com