[c-nsp] HSRP Question

Paul Stewart pstewart at nexicomgroup.net
Mon Sep 25 11:17:41 EDT 2006

Hi there...

Just a question on HSRP to make sure I understand..:)

Router A
--------

interface ethernet0
 no shutdown
 ip address 10.2.0.1 255.255.0.0
 standby 1 ip 10.2.0.20
 standby 1 priority 105
 standby 1 preempt delay minimum 10
 standby 1 timers 3 10
 standby 1 track ethernet1 10
 standby 1 track ethernet2 10

Router B
--------

interface ethernet0
 no shutdown
 ip address 10.2.0.2 255.255.0.0
 standby 1 ip 10.2.0.20
 standby 1 priority 105
 standby 1 preempt delay minimum 10
 standby 1 timers 3 10
 standby 1 track ethernet1 10
 standby 1 track ethernet2 10

Can the standby IP address be *outside* of the subnet on the interfaces?
Sorry, fairly new to HSRP....

We would like to move our BGP connections to HSRP basically and trying
to find the best way.  We have a pair of 6509's feeding the layer2
connectivity to a GSR and I'd like to setup 2 ports physically for every
BGP connection.  The slight complication comes in the fact that most of
these /30 connections for BGP are the upstream's IP space.  I don't want
to redo all the connections, would rather use what we have now...

Thoughts? ;)

Paul Stewart
Network Administrator
Nexicom Inc.