[c-nsp] Curious... 2800 or 3800

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Apr 2 19:10:40 EDT 2007

That's 520Mbps of 64 byte packets on a NPE-G1 *doing absolutely nothing
else.*  No ACLs, NAT, PPPoE, EGP, IGP, NetFlow, NBAR, SNMP, uRPF, CoPP,
QoS, CAR, logging of any kind, heaven forbid any crypto, etc, yadda,
yadda.  Not even someone sitting on the console running sh proc cpu to
monitor the load (pull the 5min avg instead).  Everything done in HW and
virtually nothing switched across the CPU.  Nothing a router under a
normal workload in a normal configuration would be doing.  That's how
it's been explained to me.  I've even seen an SE jot down some figures
on a napkin that basically showed how ASIC XYZ has a bus ABC wide.  At
DEF Mhz it can process a header in GHI amount of time which means it can
process JKL headers per second.  Assuming a minimum size payload of MNO
the ASIC can switch amount of data at a rate of PQR per second.
Assuming that the CEF entry had already been made and that there wasn't
going to be any incurred overhead from processing switching the first
packet.  And assuming no other delays in the switching process.  His
number did roughly jive with the router performance doc.

I would be interested to have better clarification from Cisco on the
test environment but I would say that it is highly unlikely that
high-overhead transport mediums and ATM and POS were used for the test.
  It would be interesting to see a parallel version of
routerperformance.pdf with a basic configuration that involves a lot of
the "normal" stuff I mentioned above.  I'd be very interested in seeing
the comparison.  Where else but in a lab environment will we ever see
the best case scenario?  I don't think I've ever built such a scenario
myself. :-)

Justin