[c-nsp] 7600 IOS Version choice ....

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Thu Apr 12 15:43:43 EDT 2007

> If you want to prepare for what will be coming down the road
> you need to go with SRB.

I agree.

> A lot of customers are parked on 12.2(18)SXF because it is
> still being rebuilt.

A lot of customers are parked on SXF, because that's basically
the only thing there is. (The only software that supports all
their modules (PFC3A, CSM, and IPSec for example) or (now) the
only software that supports all their chassis.

Other customers are parked on SXF because it's the only release
that supports the features they use... (Software modularity
comes to mind. The release notes unfortunately no longer lists
unsupported features, and both Feature Navigator and Software
Advisor are basically broken. Sigh).

And, finally, some customers are using SXF because it's what
comes closest to the release they're waiting for and have been
for more than a year.

> The only reason it's being rebuilt still is because of some
> hardware support that isn't in later releases (ie: sup2 I think
> it is).

Well that and (I hope) the fact that Whitney isn't there yet and
likely won't be for quite some time.

-A