[c-nsp] ERSPAN using VACLs?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Aug 2 23:14:24 EDT 2007

Theoretically the capability exists (ie, hw supports it), but it is
not implemented. Believe me, I have pushed for this to get into a
release, but as it stands it doesn't look likely any time soon.

If you have RSPAN traffic coming from another switch, you can VACL
filter it in the RSPAN VLAN on the ERSPAN source switch & then use
the RSPAN VLAN as your ERSPAN source; but if an RSPAN *source*
session exists on the switch you won't be able to ERSPAN that RSPAN VLAN.

Confusing I expect: IOW, you can't use an RSPAN VLAN as an ERSPAN
source if there is a corresponding RSPAN source session on the same
switch; but you can use an RSPAN VLAN as an ERSPAN source if the
RSPAN VLAN simply exists & traffic is entering the switch on that
RSPAN VLAN from elsewhere.

HTH,
Tim

At 04:53 PM 8/2/2007 -0700, Christian MacNevin observed:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Data Center BU
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759