[c-nsp] iphone, Cisco AP/WLC & web-auth

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Fri Aug 3 22:20:13 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 02:56:14PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> This sounds like an excuse for poor design on ciscos part. I have seen
> numerous "web" portal auth systems for hotels, conferences and other
> venues. When my laptop goes to sleep or needs to re auth I may get a
> brief web redirect but other activity such as ssh and IMAP do not get
> blocked. I would hope that folks start tuning their networks to not
> annoy those PDA and iPhone users just to save a small bit of state
> memory or disk space.

I'm not sure I can follow you here. When a wireless device goes to sleep
it can do so only if the AP allows it to do so. It is also required to
wake up every so often to pick up its traffic. The AP tells the device
how often (how many beacon intervals) that will be. If the device wakes
up late, then it will loose (miss) the data. And the behaviour of the
AP looks perfectly OK to me because the AP will delay not only sending
the unicast traffic destined to that device but also all multicast/
broadcast traffic. So, figuratively speaking think of a school bus:
If the driver would wait for people who overslept then everyone would
be late.

 ciao
     Joerg

--