[c-nsp] dCEF Problem

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Fri Aug 3 23:02:46 EDT 2007

I'm not sure how much memory is required to load 12.4 onto a VIP - I
only run 12.2S on the 7507s/7513s I manage. That said, you can probably
pick up 128Mb of DRAM and 8Mb of SRAM for less than $50 to get the card
up to snuff. Plus, if you're really wanting to run 12.4, you should
probably get something that isn't that old.

How many routes do you have loaded on that router? A VIP2-50 I'm running
(1x PA-FE-TX + 1x PA-2T3) has 65Mb free running 12.2S(25)12 with approx
100k routes on the RSP - It seems pretty happy. I'd look at how much
memory is available without dCEF and go from there. I've not touched a
VIP with 32Mb of RAM for a long time (except for when someone configured
one incorrectly and put 32/8 on it and it didn't even load IOS onto it
before it crashed).

FYI, there is the handy 'if-con X' command, which will give you access
to the VIP on slot X. From there you can do show proc, show mem, and
whatnot. sh ip cef summary is handy:

IPv4 CEF is enabled for distributed and running
VRF Default-IP-Routing-Table:
 95779 prefixes (95779/0 fwd/non-fwd)
 Default network 0.0.0.0/0
 Table id 0, 0 resets
 Database epoch: 7 (95779 entries at this epoch)