[c-nsp] dCEF Problem

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 23:18:07 EDT 2007

David Coulson wrote:
> I'm not sure how much memory is required to load 12.4 onto a VIP - I
> only run 12.2S on the 7507s/7513s I manage. That said, you can probably
> pick up 128Mb of DRAM and 8Mb of SRAM for less than $50 to get the card
> up to snuff. Plus, if you're really wanting to run 12.4, you should
> probably get something that isn't that old.

I probably at least meet the minimum, since the VIP works fine when dCEF
is disabled.

> How many routes do you have loaded on that router? A VIP2-50 I'm running
> (1x PA-FE-TX + 1x PA-2T3) has 65Mb free running 12.2S(25)12 with approx
> 100k routes on the RSP - It seems pretty happy. I'd look at how much
> memory is available without dCEF and go from there. I've not touched a
> VIP with 32Mb of RAM for a long time (except for when someone configured
> one incorrectly and put 32/8 on it and it didn't even load IOS onto it
> before it crashed).

I only have 6-7 routes.  This router is *very* lightly loaded.  I was
thinking of upgrading to a VIP4-80 anyway, so I'll either upgrade the
memory on this VIP2, or swap it for a VIP4.

> FYI, there is the handy 'if-con X' command, which will give you access
> to the VIP on slot X. From there you can do show proc, show mem, and
> whatnot. sh ip cef summary is handy:

Thanks.  That's a neat trick to know.

> IPv4 CEF is enabled for distributed and running
> VRF Default-IP-Routing-Table:
> 95779 prefixes (95779/0 fwd/non-fwd)
> Default network 0.0.0.0/0
> Table id 0, 0 resets
> Database epoch: 7 (95779 entries at this epoch)

I'll check as soon as I'm able.

Peace...  Sridhar