[c-nsp] 2821 and my HWIC-1FE again - FYI

Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Sun Aug 5 16:14:30 EDT 2007

Hi there!

The problem I posted some time ago was driving me crazy and the hint I
got in a private message also didn't solve it (thanks for mail though!),
so I tried to locate the source of the problem...

After a mental breakdown I tried a dot1q capable switch from a different
vendor and the packetloss decreased a bit (although not completely, but
it wasn't the most expensive switch either)...
I didn't want to believe that a Cisco router isn't 100% compatible to a
Cisco Catalyst so I replaced everything back to the original
configuration (3640 with 2924). Everything worked like a charm. I
replaced the 2924 with a 2950 and still everything worked like a charm.
That proofed to me that the 2950/config isn't the problem.
I thought that the HWIC-1FE can't be the problem either, because my
laptop directly connected to the HWIC-1FE (subinterface) worked just
fine. It seemed that the HWIC-1FE just doesn't want neither my 2950 nor
my 2924.

I saved the config, delete all the subinterfaces on the HWIC-1FE and
configured the second onboard gigabit interface with those
subinterfaces. The config hasn't been changed, I just replaced all the
fastethernet0/0/0.xxx with gigabitethernet0/1.xxx and pasted it, plugged
in the 2950 and guess what... since that moment everything works! The
onboard Gi0/1 likes my 2950 and there is no packetloss at all anymore! I
gave the HWIC-1FE a last chance before throwing it out of the window and
connected the backup link to it. No packetloss, good performance, ...
everything fine!!!

After trying so much I'm pretty sure that in 12.4.15-T1 there IS a
problem if you just plug in a 2950 and build a trunk. Has anybody had
the same problem or are there some special settings I have to configure
to solve this? Could the problem be that the switches don't like the new
HWIC-1FE (but a 2950 isn't that old and likes the Gi0/1 just fine...)
By default it just doesn't work here...

Thanks,
Bernd