[c-nsp] SNMP for VRF [Lite] ?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 04:45:25 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 23:06 -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
> Is there a quick way to determine if a switch has VRFs enabled via SNMP?
>
> We have some network monitoring/manipulation procedures that get
> "broken" when VRFs are enabled.  Logging into the CLI and doing a 'show
> ip vrf' does the trick, but I am looking for a lightweight SNMP-able
> variable I can pull from a generic switch (at least down to a 3550) as
> opposed to the more elaborate MPLS MIBs for the higher-end routers.

This is tedious to do, unfortunately.

There is some support for binding an SNMPv3 context to a VRF, such that
queries using that context see ip-related tables specific to the VRF,
but that appears not to be present in the platforms I've tried it on
(6500 + sup720, 3750) - maybe it's a GSR-ism. Google for:

site:cisco.com snmp vrf

I don't believe MPLS-VPN-MIB is supported for 3750s - certainly the ones
I am running (12.2(25)SEE1) don't answer queries for it. It's a pretty
poor mib anyway - the tables are indexed by that stupid string format:

x.V.R.F.N.A.M.E.S.T.R.I.N.G.column.row

...and is very, very slow on a 6500.