[c-nsp] Solarwinds Orion & Cirrus - Thoughts?

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Tue Aug 7 11:25:45 EDT 2007

We use Solarwinds Cirrus and Orion for a large portion of our network
management system.  We're monitoring a few hundred devices and backing
up configurations on about 150 routers/switches/servers/etc.

Orion is a great product for quickly adding very common items to a
management station, such as disk/CPU/memory, and interface bandwidth
charts.  They recently came out with custom MIB support, but it's kind
of clunky to use and doesn't yet support tables.  The web interface is
great, but you cannot perform any management such as
adding/deleting/modifying nodes from there - yet.  The alerting engine
is pretty good, but we don't use it extensively as others, because we
use ipMonitor 8 (recently purchased by Solarwinds).

Cirrus is pretty good at policy management enforcement and backing up
router/switch configurations.  Pretty much anything you can telnet or
SSH to, you can back up a config on.  It's lacking a *tad* bit on
security and there's little to no integration with Orion - yet.  I
personally still use RANCID for my primary config backup because Cirrus
emails every time a device configuration changes, rather than combining
all changes into a single email.  Also, it's somewhat difficult to parse
the change emails, because of their silly wide format.

You'll notice that there are a lot of 'yet's in this email.  This is
because Solarwinds is constantly developing their applications.  They
are a somewhat small company and listen well to their customers.  Many
of their developers and support staff actively monitor and participate
in their public community forums at http://www.thwack.com.

In short, I would say that if all you are looking for is a decent
replacement for what you have now, this combination would work.  If you
are looking for extensive SNMP trap capabilities, Orion isn't quite up
to snuff.  But, as I said, Solarwinds is vigorously developing updates,
add-ons, and bug fixes for their applications, so stay tuned.

-evt