[c-nsp] MLPPP maximum load

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Aug 13 23:49:59 EDT 2007

At 10:38 PM 8/13/2007, a. rahman isnaini r. sutan wrote:
>Am I right to say that MLPPP could utilize all bundled T1/E1 100% ?
>Or it might be wouldn't work normally as there some headers added on ?
>And recommended is 75% for a normal load balancing.
>
>Any suggestion would be appreciated.

The MLPPP line protocol overhead is negligible. However, on some
platforms, the CPU overhead is high. On any modern Cisco router
(18xx/28xx/38xx+) or any higher end older router (3700,7200) you
should be fine up to the maximum of 8xT1/E1. Try 8xT1 with a full
12Mbit/s on a 3620 or 4xT1 on a 2600 and you may run out of CPU.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin