[c-nsp] Aironet 1200 repeater

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Aug 14 09:28:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:29:03AM +0000, Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have some experience with setting up Aironet wireless networks, but up
> until now, I have not extended their range by the use of repeaters.  I was
> trying to get it to work yesterday, but unfortunately, I hit some problems.
> I'm using Aironet 1242, 802.11G interfaces.
>
> I managed to get the repeater to associate to the root AP (only once,
> though, shouldn't it associate twice, once for the AP, once for it's virtual
> interface?).  The status light on the repeater was a steady blue, instead of
> the steady green it was supposed to be (?).
>
> When clients associated with the root AP, they were fine.  Everything worked
> smoothly.  When they associated with the repeater, they could not go any
> further than to the repeater.  That is, they could ping and telnet to the
> repeater, but not to the root AP, or anything behind it.  When telnet'd into
> the repeater, I could ping/telnet/whatever from there, though.
>
> Any hints?

	so i have a large repeater setup that I use in my neighborhood
using 350's.  Here's the config from one of the IOS 350's.  If plugged in
to the wired, it bridges to 802.11 and if not, it goes into repeater
mode.  Works well for me.  I'd like to get some cheap 1100 or 1200's to
upgrade it to 802.11g, but the cost of 350's used makes it kinda hard
to justify :)

	- jared

Current configuration : 1924 bytes
!
! No configuration change since last restart
!
version 12.3
no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
service internal
no service dhcp
!
hostname AP350
!
enable secret 5 $1$nCBg$676HlLgCUfdbdwlmM6k2H0
!
ip subnet-zero
ip domain name nether.net
!
!
aaa new-model
!
!
aaa authorization exec default local if-authenticated
aaa session-id common
!
dot11 ssid 8285ReeseLaneAP
   authentication open
   guest-mode
   infrastructure-ssid optional
!
dot11 network-map
dot11 arp-cache
dot11 adjacent-ap age-timeout 1
!
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 logging event subif-link-status
 logging event subif-link-status ignore-bulk
 load-interval 30
 !
 ssid 8285ReeseLaneAP
 !