[c-nsp] 7204vxr freeze-up question

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Wed Aug 15 11:43:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running into an issue with a 7204VXR/NPE-300 router with 128MB RAM.

A 1000Base-SX GBIC is plugged into one of the slots (not sure of the part # of the card into which the GBIC plugs).

We were running some dueling gateways speed tests with the router (packet stream is sent via iPerf to router A, which forwards it to router B, which forwards it back to router A, which forwards it back to router B, until TTL is decremented to 0).

Soon after I start sending 75Mbps - 80Mbps of traffic to the router's gig interface via iPerf, the gig interface stops sending / receiving any traffic whatsoever. The CLI of the router remains up, the gig interface reports it is up / up, memory and cpu utilization remain low. No logs are generated. Traffic on other interfaces is unaffected. I shut / no shut the gigabit interface, but traffic still refuses to pass. Only a reload of the router rectifies the issue.

I wonder if there is a debug command that could provide some insight into the problem. At this point I am suspecting a hardware issue (GBIC, card, or backplane).

Thanks for any insights ....

Adam