[c-nsp] Signal too "hot" for PA-A3-T3

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Fri Aug 17 03:08:31 EDT 2007

Quoting Rick Kunkel <kunkel at w-link.net>:

> Hello all,
>
> I just went through a 2-day troubleshooting session, due to a bunch of
> errors using a PA-A3-T3 and a third party's mux.  In the end, upon the
> advice of a couple of people, we put a signal attentuator inline, and the
> errors have stopped.
>
> I already mentioned that the module of ours was the PA-A3-T3.  I don't
> know who makes the mux.  The coax between these devices is about 35 feet.
> The attenuator is supposedly around 10db.  Using a testing tool, I'm told
> that the signal strength coming from their equipment went from about 2.4db
> to -7.6db.

If it's 35 feet end-to-end between PAs, then I'd guess it's a bit short for a
DS3 and the signal levels might be higher than expected.  OTOH 35 feet from a
demarc isn't too unreasonable.   (Our distance from demarc is a few hundred
feet.)  Did you set the cablelength parameter on the interface on IOS?  IIRC it
helps set the signal strength range for a given build out.

Cheers,

Jeff C.