[c-nsp] Network going really slowly

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:54:29 EDT 2007

Jeff Kell wrote:
>> I have a 7505 with an RSP2 running IOS 12.4.  One of the boards is a
>> VIP2-50, and on that board is a PA-FE-TX and a PA-4E.  The PA-FE-TX is
>> attached to my routed public network, and one of the ports on the
>> PA-4E is attached to my NATed private one.
>
> So you've got one side at 10Mbps...

Yes, indeed.

>> Moreover, an SFTP file transfer moving a file from a machine on the
>> public network to a machine on the private network only transfers at
>> about 150KB/s.
> 150KBytes/sec = 1.2Mbps...

Sure.

> I also noticed:
>
>> interface Ethernet2/1/1
>>   ip address 172.22.22.1 255.255.255.0
>>   ip nat inside
>>   ip virtual-reassembly
>>   full-duplex
>
> You've set the 10Mbps interface to full-duplex.  What is on the other
> end?  10Mbps devices are typically half-duplex.  If you have a duplex
> mismatch that would certainly slow down the transfers.  Check error
> rates on both sides of that link.

The other side of that interface is an IBM Thinkpad T60p running Windows XP.

I tried turning off full-duplex.  Doesn't make much of a difference.  Of
course, the collision counts on the interface go up, but other than that...

 From the machine on the private side, a download from ftp.netbsd.org
goes at 4.9kB/s.  The same file from the same server on the public side
goes at 175.3kB/s.

Peace...  Sridhar