[c-nsp] Question about VRF

Munroe, James (DSS/MAS) James.Munroe at gnb.ca
Tue Aug 21 08:51:54 EDT 2007

Hi Dean,

There are a couple of ways to use VRF's to do this.  1.)  Multi-VRF CE
2.) MPLS

We do a setup similar to this today using multi-vrf (vrf-lite) on the
Cisco 6509 (SUP720-3B) switch directly connected to the Firewall.  Each
VLAN on the switch is assigned to a separate VRF and those VLANs are
permitted on a 10GE 802.1q trunked interface into a Netscreen NS-5200
firewall.  This however, would work with any firewall...  There is one
caveat with VRF-Lite and that is Multicast VRF support is currently not
present in most Cisco catalyst switches (to date the 6500 series with
PFC3B or PFC3BXL running min. 12.2.18SXE is supported).  The ME-3400,
3750ME, 3560, and most likely others (would check with my Cisco SE) will
have mVRF support in 12.2.40SE.

Check out the following link for details on setting up VRF-Lite:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7077/products_configuration_guide_
chapter09186a00808173af.html#wp1320198

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_white_paper0918
6a00801281f1.shtml  (shows some configuration but not directly related)

Actually, I think last years there was a Networkers presentation on this
(Enterprise virtualization or something like that).

Hope that helps...