[c-nsp] SIP-400 GigE vs SUP720-10G GigE

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:16:36 EDT 2007

Trying to figure out whether I really need a SIP-400 for WAN facing
ethernet links. Can I get away with the GigE uplinks on the new
SUP720-10G? Docs suggest it supports SRR. Not sure if this will work
if the GigE link is actually sub-rate (which is what I will be
facing.)

I'm not really convinced that deep buffers/shaping is the only way to
go. If I just police, host tcp stacks should do their thing anyway,
which pushes the buffering back towards the edge.

Real world experience would be appreciated.

Tim:>