[c-nsp] 7204vxr freeze-up question

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Wed Aug 22 14:14:13 EDT 2007

Thanks, Chuck and Rodney.

CEF is enabled. I'm sending about 95Mbps of 1470-byte UDP packets to the
PA-GE interface, then the dueling gateways is trying to push that traffic
even higher. The router is connected to a radio that can only do 100Mbps, so
there's no chance of traffic exceeding 100Mbps in either direction.

I'll try 12.4(16) and see what happens.

Here's the 'show int' during the outage condition (particularly worrisome to
me are the 18 interface resets, all caused by the test. There are also a lot
of output drops, which is understandable, 1 no buffer and 1 throttle):

r2#sh int g2/0

GigabitEthernet2/0 is up, line protocol is up

  Hardware is WISEMAN, address is 0007.8420.e838 (bia 0007.8420.e838)

  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

     reliability 255/255, txload 15/255, rxload 24/255

  Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  1., loopback not set

  Keepalive set (10 sec)

  Unknown duplex, Unknown Speed, link type is autonegotiation, media type is
SX

  output flow-control is on, input flow-control is on

  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

  Input queue: 11/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:
1173852

  Queueing strategy: fifo

  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

  30 second input rate 96026000 bits/sec, 7955 packets/sec

  30 second output rate 59502000 bits/sec, 5143 packets/sec

     29510670 packets input, 2249605461 bytes, 1 no buffer

     0 watchdog, 1513394 multicast, 611 pause input

     30538392 packets output, 3381947542 bytes, 0 underruns

     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

     3 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 2 pause output

I don't have a 'show controller' during the outage condition. I'll try to
obtain it.

I agree, before we swap the router, we should do some more normal tests and
see if the problem persists even then at 80Mbps in / 40Mbps out levels.

Thanks,
Adam