[c-nsp] EIGRP as core routing protocol on MPLS network

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Aug 26 07:48:37 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:42:28PM +1200, Kris Price wrote:
> I've been trying to find out the implications of using EIGRP to
> distribute the loopbacks for a BGP/MPLS network instead of the usual
> OSPF or ISIS. But either it isn't a very well covered topic or my
> Google-foo is seriously bad.

It will work, but limit you to a pure-cisco environment.  Which, for
many, is enough reason not to touch EIGRP with a 10-foot-pole.

We're happy users of EIGRP since many years - and it has quite some
advantages (debugging why certain paths are selected seems to be much
easier to me in EIGRP than in OSPF/ISIS, and you can do some TE tricks
that a link-state protocol just can't do).

OTOH if I had to re-do our network from scratch, I might go with ISIS,
to get integrated IPv4/IPv6.  Just have one routing protocol to maintain.
(But maybe not - so if IPv4 routing breaks, IPv6 routing might still work)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de