[c-nsp] Policing Question

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Tue Dec 4 14:03:41 EST 2007

It would help if standard terminology were used.  In and out
refer to traffic ingress and egress from a particular interface.
They can't apply to an Etherchannel connection, but do apply to
either end of the Etherchannel connection (with opposite
meanings, out on one end is in on the other).  With that said,
you can't shape on the inbound direction.  You can only shape on
the outbound, and different hardware has different capabilities.
Since the 6500 is a hardware based switch, it may not even have
usable shaping capabilities (all the queues are hardware queues).
Plus, you need to define what direction you want this shaping or
policing (customer bandwidth limiting for lack of a better term)
to occur.  Is it from the customer to the Internet, or from the
Internet to the customer, or both.  You'll also need to take a
look at the QoS capabilities of the particular modules you have
in that 6500.  Some of the modules have O.K. QoS capabilities,
and some of them don't as far as QoS is concerned.  Plus, if you
are using DEC (Distributed EtherChannel) you'll need to watch out
for the consistency checking done as far as QoS capabilities of
individual ports before they are allowed in the channel.
Something like no mls qos consistency-check rings a bell.

HTH,

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697