[c-nsp] per-packet load sharing.

virendra rode // virendra.rode at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 20:39:07 EST 2007

Hi,

I have a GRE tunnel configured on a L3 device running ospf w/ cef
enabled which ties into two edge routers in a dual-isp setup.

L3 switch#

int tun0
ip add 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
tunnel source 192.168.0.1
tunnel destination 192.168.2.1

router ospf 100
network x.x.x.x y.y.y.y area 0

ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y 10.0.0.2

In order to distribute traffic (load-sharing) across two links I'm
looking at enabling equal cost traffic (per-packet load sharing) going
out both serial links as their data processing is overloading one link.
The equal cost routes with CEF default load sharing is not distributing
the load over the 2 links as expected.  MLPPP is not an option for
budget reasons hence I'm looking at doing per-packet.

router-1#
ip cef (enabled globally)
ip cef load-sharing algorithm original

fa0/0 connected to L3 on vlan5

interface Serial0/0/0:0
bandwidth 1544
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
frame-relay lmi-type cisco
ip load-sharing per-packet

interface Serial0/0/0:0.100 point-to-point
bandwidth 1544
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
frame-relay interface-dlci 100

router-2#
ip cef (enabled globally)
ip cef load-sharing algorithm original

fa0/0 connected to L3 on vlan5

interface Serial0/0/0:0
bandwidth 1544
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
frame-relay lmi-type cisco
ip load-sharing per-packet

interface Serial0/0/0:0.200 point-to-point
bandwidth 1544
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
frame-relay interface-dlci 200

Any recommendation and /or feedback will be appreciated.

regards,
/virendra