[c-nsp] per-packet load sharing.

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Mon Dec 10 11:50:03 EST 2007

> The thing is the cef is load-balancing packets across equal-cost links
> on a per-destination which is how its suppose to be which I get it. The
> issue is my tunnel traffic is destined to a single core router on the
> far end of the links consuming the majority of the BW for any single
 link.

Under 12.4(11)T there's now an algorithm that includes ports numbers in the
hash:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080824974.html#wp1046335

> Hence I'm looking at using per-packet method. I don't have any latency
> sensitive application that I need to worry in this case.

The concern with per-packet isn't an increase in latency, its the jitter
and out-of-order delivery (the OoO's being especially harsh on bulk TCP
transfers).