[c-nsp] Central Office Cisco Gear?

OCOSA ListAcct listacc at ocosa.com
Thu Dec 20 16:10:37 EST 2007

For DS-1 and DS-3 I would recommend using 7200VXR router and for the
OC-n level using GSR router. You can absolutely just use the GSR for all
but if you are not really taking a lot of circuits via Ethernet or OC-n
level too expensive. But it really just depends on your budget, what you
want to do, and what equipment you want to use. Do you need voice
circuits or are these data circuits only? If you need integrated
circuits you need to get a DACS.

For example to support data only DS-1s and DS-3s

Cisco 720xVXR NPE-xxx / I/O-FE
PA-MC-T3 (some of these for DS-1s and DS-3s)

or if you wanted to take a Channelized DS-3 and break the DS-1s out of
the DS-3 to run to another router or device use this setup.

Cisco 720xVXR NPE-xxx / I/O-FE
PA-MC-T3
Telco Systems Edgelink 100 (not to expensive brand new)

If you want everything on one router get a Cisco 12008 GSR (not to big
can support DS-1, DS-3, OC-n, Ethernet) and add the various line cards
for the circuit type the good thing about the GSR is that they have like
4 to 6 ports per a card depending on what you need but they are
expensive. If you go with the 7200VXR series less expensive but I would
recommend staying in the DS-x level if you are trying to add tons of
circuits. By the way you can use the 7200VXR to take a couple SONET
OC-3s and of course Ethernet.

As a side note the Cisco 6500, 7600, 7500 can also be used....

Hope this helps.

Otis