[c-nsp] What to use instead of VTP?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Dec 30 02:18:56 EST 2007

> Seeing as how the ME3400 doesn't support VTP (see http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6580/c2001/ccmigration_09186a008087802f.pdf
>   page 11-2), how else can one propagate VLAN information between
> devices? GARP/GVRP don't seem to be supported either.  I assume that
> since this is pitched as a Metro switch, and the Metro feature glue
> would the ability to use VLANs, I would assume a feature to propagate
> said glue would exist at some level.

I believe you're supposed to configure this manually, or use some kind
of provisioning system.

Anyway, why on earth would you want all your switches to have the same
VLAN config in a Metro setting? VTP may be suitable for your data
center, but it's an extremely bad idea for almost anything else. And
there are plenty of ways to hang yourself using VTP (search the list
archives for some nice examples).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no