[c-nsp] QOS advice

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Feb 2 23:00:47 EST 2007

Pete Templin wrote:
> mihai at duras.ro wrote:
>
>> Although there is no congestion present there, the voip solution
>> integrator has demanded that QOS be present on the networking equipments.
>>

> (disclaimer: pet peeve when people are ambiguous)
>
> What are you worried about?  You don't need to make any changes to your
> configurations.  You already have a QOS policy in place.
>
> (yes, your policy is FIFO, but it's there and it provides a particular
> quality of service.)
>
> If they want _priority queueing of COS 5 traffic_, they should specify that.

It could be worse.  They might not want QoS at all.  I sat in a meeting
some months ago with an engineer and sales rep from an ADSL2+ solution
provider in which the engineer actually proclaimed that QoS was not
needed for our network because our links weren't congested.  (Double
play is the current plan, voice & data, but triple play will happen in a
couple years.)  After picking up our collective jaws we threw out a
couple simple questions like what would happen if a voice and data
packet arrived an interface simultaneously, the type of gimmie questions
that would help most technical people realize they said something
inaccurate and correct themselves.  Not this engineer.  He went on to
say that he'd deployed their ADSL2+ solution at numerous SPs and that
none of them utilized any QoS.  He also described how at a previous job
he deployed a multi-continental network that carried enterprise voice
and data traffic and only utilized QoS on one link.  Our subtle hints
didn't change his stance and neither did us flat out pointing to the
inaccuracies in his statement.  This was the same engineer that thought
that a SP of our size had no reason to run an IGP and that static routes
were sufficient (though their ADSL2+ solution is now being deployed with
end-to-end OSPF) and that MPLS was a dieing technology (I guess that's
why Cisco has published 16 books on it in the last 7 years).  But I digress.

Justin