[c-nsp] Cisco 877 and Alcatel DSLAM

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Mon Feb 5 17:29:27 EST 2007

Mike Andrews wrote:
> Per Carlson wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 06:47:35PM +0300, Rivo Tahina RAZAFINDRATSIFA wrote:
>>
>>> Do the Alcatel DSLAM need anything else in config?
>> We have had success with the 12.4(9)T relase towards Alcatel DSLAMs. Not
>> sure if those were a 7302 or not though. With 12.4(11)T you also get rid
>> of that nasty vlan database.
>>
>> Not sure about the stability in 11T, it blew up in my face last time I
>> tried. But that were with some creative config like L2TP
>> Client-initiated tunneling.
>
> I haven't had any issues with Alcatel and the 877.  Maybe experiment
> with the "dsl operating-mode" command?
>
> I have, however, confirm the same massive stability problems with
> 12.4(11)T on the 877W... it reboots every 15-20 minutes for me.
> 12.4(9)T is fine.  The traceback addresses / PC register are the same in
> every crashinfo file, though the current running process is not always
> the same.  So it's clearly a bug, I just can't tell what feature
> triggers it yet.

I had massive stability issues with 12.4(11)T when it first came out, my 1841
was crashing every few minutes.  I had about a dozen crashinfo files and
opened a TAC case (604846587) and submitted them all, but it fizzled out and I
had to close it because the TAC could not reproduce it (despite the crashinfo
files).  I have an HWIC-1ADSL card in it so the hardware is somewhat similar
to an 877.

The problem mysteriously went away when I next tried the code again a few
weeks later.

At the time the TAC engineer suggested that "The crash will continue to repeat
itself once packets are transmitted on the ATM interface".  They thought it
was almost certainly something to do with the HWIC-1ADSL...

Can't help wonder if it's the same bug.

Reuben