[c-nsp] Cosmetic bug or unsupported NPE?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Feb 9 16:40:32 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> "..I'm just wondering how much longer these NPE300s can be nursed along
> before we have to replace them with..."
>
> The line wasn't "these NPE300s running 12.2S can be nursed"
>
> In other words, the implication was a blanket statement that the 256MB NPEs
> would
> be no good for full BGP.  That is what I'm objecting to.  It never was about

Well, those were my words, and we do actually run 12.2S on most of our
7200s (we do MPLS, no v6 [yet]).  It was mentioned several times in that
message.  So in the context of my message, I don't care if you can run
full routes on a 256mb NPE with certain IOS versions.  I care if I can
with the IOS features I need.

I've also got an NPE225 running 12.1(5)T due to a weird combination of
features it needed.  It obviously needs an upgrade as well, and it's tight
enough on RAM now that I really don't know if it's going to make it with
12.3 code.  It's got a BGP customer wanting full routes, so it carries
full routes.