[c-nsp] PPPoE Cisco Broadband Network Management

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Sun Feb 18 10:00:41 EST 2007

Hello all.

I'm contemplating the design of a scalable Cisco-based broadband
service that will offer users package-based solutions in the form
of 256Kbps, 512Kbps, 1Mbps, e.t.c., for different contention ratios
(home or business).

Some deployments I have witnessed are using IP addresses as the
basis of managing bandwidth for a specific package per specific
contention group. While this is easy and works well, it might mean
additional administrative and technical management of IP addresses
per package per contention group, which I wouldn't imagine would be
scalable in the long run as human intervention would be
consistently required to ensure packages are "well-fed" in terms of
IP address space, especially considering some packages will be more
popular than others.

I'm imagining a situation where different users, regardless of
package, can utilize any random IP address that's available on the
router pool and yet maintain their package properties (bandwidth
and contention group), in a very scalable fashion. This way, I
don't have to worry about which IP addresses are being used by
which package at what rate.

Service would be PPPoE dial-up with RADIUS authentication
terminating on a Cisco router. The last mile network would be
wireless-based.

Are there features I can exploit within IOS and RADIUS that would
allow me to accomplish this without significantly reducing the
router's session handling capacity (7206-VXR/NPE-G1)?

Cheers,

Mark.