[c-nsp] Network Software - Management/Performance

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Mon Feb 19 12:26:52 EST 2007

Hi there...

I'm hoping for some input from the list... open to any ideas commercial or
open source...

Currently, we use JFFNMS (www.jffnms.org) primarily for our network needs.
This package monitors bandwidth (95th on some), tracks interfaces down/up,
does alerting, configuration backups of Cisco gear, and lots of other stuff.
We have outgrown this package we feel so now shopping around for the past
several months.

While open source is definately appealing, so is a "off the shelf" package
that installs easily...;)  Having said that, we're not going to spend $100k
neither...

Looking for input from people on what they are using any why... briefly is
fine as we've investigated dozens of packages to date.  One key element is
that jffnms also tracks 500+ wireless customers (fixed broadband wireless on
Trango), some Redline wireless and Alvarion wireless shots as well... using
custom MIB's...  every vendor we've talked to says "oh it's easy to add
support" until we need to do it and realize that it's a 60 page document on
how to add support etc....

Anyways, just trolling for ideas.... oh, and prefer Linux support but not
ruling Windows out entirely....

Thanks in advance,

Paul Stewart