[c-nsp] Cat3750 to Netgear GSM7224

James Sneeringer jsneeringer at jupiterimages.com
Wed Feb 21 16:06:01 EST 2007

IOS (tm) C3750 Software (C3750-I9K91-M), Version 12.2(20)SE2, RELEASE
SOFTWARE (fc1)

The Cat3750 has GLC-T SPF modules in Gi1/0/3 and Gi1/0/4. The switch
identifies them properly, so I'm pretty sure they're genuine Cisco. Both are
known to work when a regular server or PC connects to them.

The Netgear GSM7224 is a managed 24-port 10/100/1000 switch. For what it's
worth, it's running their latest software, 5.1.1.3. When it is connected to
either of the GLC-T modules on the 3750, I get nothing. Both switches behave
as though no wire is connected at all. No negotiation to a lower speed, no
blinky lights to indicate that it's trying, nothing in the logs for either
switch to even hint that something is plugged in.

I'm using a Cat5e crossover cable that is known to work (i.e. swap it with
another working switch-switch link and it's good). Using the same cabling,
however, the GSM7224 connects just fine to any of the 10/100 ports on the
3750. The switches are at a colo facility and not immediately accessible,
but I will be heading over there later today to verify the wiring again,
just in case, because it strikes me as the most likely cause.

However, if wiring isn't the problem, is anyone aware of any
interoperability issues between these two models (or vendors in general)
that might be biting me here? Any clues or pointers would be helpful.

-James

--
James Sneeringer                   JupiterImages Corp
Network/Phone Engineer             a division of Jupitermedia Corp