[c-nsp] Cef load balance

MKS rekordmeister at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 07:45:10 EST 2007

Hello

I have a question regarding load balancing over TE tunnels.

We have sex equal bandwidth links, which we use TE tunnels to load balance.

According to cisco
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/loadbal_cef.htmlload balancing is
done in hardware using 16 hash buckets.

Now 16 divided by 6 isn't an even number so cisco only uses 12 hash buckets
in that case ( see example about 3 links using 15 hash buckets in the
referenced document above), so every link gets an even share of the traffic.

This is the case with a 7600 router we have, it correctly reduces the number
of hash buckets.

On the other end of the tunnels we have 7300 router, and that one doesn't
reduce the hash buckets, it uses 16 buckets for 6 links, so that some links
get an load-share of 3 and some load-share of 2. Making the links unevenly
loaded.

Now the question is, is this a software issue or something else (hardware,
config, etc)?   The software is 12.2(20)S6 on the 7300 router.

Has someone experience with a similar issue?

Is there a (hidden) command to change this behavior

Regards
MKS